Kastellorizo or Castellorizo (Καστελλόριζο) is a Greek island and municipality located in the southeastern Mediterranean. It lies roughly 2km off the south coast of Turkey, about 570km southeast of Athens and 125km east of Rhodes, almost halfway between Rhodes and Antalya and 280km to Cyprus.
The houses of the town are slender and characterised by wooden balconies and windows of the Anatolian type. Behind the waterfront, many houses are still in a ruinous state.
At the entrance to the harbour, on the east side, stand the single story remnants of the former Italian governate (palazzina della delegazione), erected in 1926 by the Italian architect Florestano Di Fausto, who also designed some of the most important buildings of the Italian period in Rhodes.
Nearby is the island’s former Ottoman mosque which dates from the second half of the 18th century and which has been now restored and re-opened as a museum.
From here starts the town’s quay, which runs along all three sides of the harbour. The central square “Plateia Ethelondon Kastellórizou” lies at the midpoint of the eastern side, near the vessel dock. On the opposite side of the harbour one has a good view from this vantage of Pera Meria, the western quay, and the monasteries of Profitis Elías and Aghia Triadha, the former now an army base.
The population of kastellorizo, according to the 2011 census, now stood at around 500, all living in the town of Megísti. The municipality also includes the islands of Ro and Strongyli, both without permanent inhabitants. Many of kastellorizos emigrants moved to live in Australia (especially in the cities of Perth and Sydney) where they are known affectionately as “Kazzies”.